My Capsule Wardwrobe Update

capsule wardrobe, fashion, finding a balance, Outfits, style, new year, loo back, reflection, pinterest,


During 2019 I have made a conscious effort to rework my wardrobe and create a capsule wardrobe which would work for me for any occasion. I have watched plenty of videos of the essential items you would need and I would say my wardrobe is definitely near completion, but over the last month or so I have increased the size of my wardrobe.

There are so many how to guides to building a capsule wardrobe and the thing I love about capsule wardrobes is that you don't need to follow any. You can have as little and as big a capsule wardrobe as you like. I think as long as the items see you through multiply seasons and can work with anything in your collection then you can join the fam!

When I first tried a capsule wardrobe in probably march time, I really took my wardrobe back to basic. I did a mammoth clear out and condensed my items to about 50. Half of the items I gave away to friends and family who loved it because most of the items were in perfect condition, and then I packed the rest of my wardrobe away because it wasn't seasonally appropriate. So I was left using 1/4 of the wardrobes in our bedroom (1 section is Cals, 1 is for house items and the last 1 I used for washing baskets).

I loved using my more condensed streamline wardrobe and found it really easy to work with for the first few months, I think with it being summer it was easy to rework outfits for different occasions. Then the weather changed and I found it a bit harder to maintain the wardrobe. I pulled out all of the jumpers from storage and rediscovered some of my favourites which has meant I haven't purchased any jumpers this autumn winter which is great, but I felt like all I was wearing was a jumper and leather leggings.

I knew I had some room for some cute dresses that I could wear with tights and boots during the winter months so I have recently purchased a few different styles which I have wrote about here. All items which i can work with for spring summer with some sandals. Apart from two winter boyfriends coats that I purchased from Newlook, these dresses are my only other purchases since April time which I am proud of.  The concept of a capsule wardrobe has really stuck with me because only last year, I was routinely buying new clothing for no real reason. Now I look at my wardrobe and see what I am lacking and what would work with what I already have.

Other than the new dresses I have recently purchased, to give me more options in my wardrobe during the colder months I re-evaluated my summer wardrobe in storage. I have loved splitting my wardrobe into seasons because it gives me more room in my wardrobe and most importantly, I tend to forget what items I have in storage so when I take them back out, I feel like I have a new item again. Saying all this, I needed some items to change up my wardrobe so I wasn't wearing the same outfit style every day. I have posted about some of the summer items I brought back out here. Now that I have purchased a few dresses I have no need for my summer items of clothing, so they have now gone back into storage ready to rediscover for summer.

So after this year how do I feel about a capsule wardrobe? I still absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone. It helps you love your clothing on a daily basis and takes the stress out of trying to make a outfit. I love watching peoples videos of their capsule wardrobes and seeing how everyone's is different. 

I currently have about 70 pieces in my wardrobe (excluding shoes and accessories) and to some people, they would say that that isn't a capsule wardrobe. To them people I say, the great thing about capsule wardrobes is that you can tailor it to however works for you and if you saw the number of clothing items I used to own, you would be proud! 

P.S. I use Pinterest every day to help me create different outfits with the items I already own, take a look at my boards to see if they give you inspirations! Chelsea Loves on Pinterest
You may also like:

Post a Comment

© Chelsea Loves. Design by MangoBlogs.